Sunday, October 10, 2010

WEEK OF OCT.4 - B IS FOR BEAR

~Punkin is 26 months old.~

Theme: Bears (Brown Bear, Brown Bear)
Letter: B
Number: 2
Shape: Hexagon
Color: Brown
Verse: "Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved."
Songs/Poems:
Videos:
Video of real brown bears (Punkin LOVED, LOVED, LOVED this one!)
Books:
Calendar Board and Chart:

Our main book and focus this week as we studied B is for Bear was Brown Bear, Brown Bear. Punkin now can "read" this book to me, and she loves all the other companion books, too, like Panda Bear, Panda Bear and Polar Bear, Polar Bear ..... all of which we read over and over and over again! Every morning as we read Brown Bear, Brown Bear during our calendar/circle time, Punkin would put these character cards in order on our chart. She really enjoyed telling me the story this way.

This week, Punkin started really wanting to be "in charge" during calendar time. Before, she'd always be interested in what we were doing, but never wanted to "do" it herself. This week, SHE wanted to use the pointer and be the one to point to all the numbers on the calendar as we counted them. She also started singing the songs by herself without my help, and would go on to the next thing herself without me having to guide her. It is so fun to see her catching on to what we are doing!

I also was very excited that she was SOOOO into "school time" this week. She'd sit for 30 minutes or more and do "school" with me. I loved that! I started to plan about 5 or 6 short things to do (including Kumon, vocabulary cards, doing 1 or 2 activities from the day before as review, and 1 or 2 new activities). She just wanted to keep going and going! I've been very impressed this week, too, with her "writing" of capital letters and the numbers 1 and 2. It seems she has just "taken off" in so many areas suddenly. She also "read" me quite a few books this week which made me so proud! (The very predictable, repetitive ones like Brown Bear or I Went Walking, which is very similar to Brown Bear.)


TOT TRAYS
Punkin really enjoyed our "schooltime" this week, but at the same time, she was't into doing Tot Trays very much for some reason. This is the second week in a row that she hasn't been too interested.....

I never caught her doing these lacing cards long enough to capture a picture of it. LOL!

She did do this shadow matching file folder game (from Making Learning Fun) a couple times throughout the week.

I put some counting bears (from my teaching days), matching colored cups, a scoop, and an ice cube tray with matching colored dots in the bottom in one of her trays this week to explore and play with however she chose. She matched the bears to the ice cube tray, and enjoyed scooping the bears from one cup to another, as well as just dumping out the bears again and again.

She also LOVED lining up the bears in a great big long line. She used every single bear. (Though she did get a bit frustrated when some kept falling over due to the fact she was doing it on carpet.)

Putting stickers on the outline of a 2. I also had pages with the letter b on them in the tray, but I didn't get a picture of her doing that one.

I put her Melissa and Doug See and Spell puzzles that started with b in a tray. She only did this once for a very short amount of time. (Though she LOVES doing these with me during schooltime......Who knows....)

I wanted her to make a Button Leaf Garland like I saw on My Montessori Journey by "lacing" the leaves onto the ribbon. But it really was too hard for her little fingers. So, I would put the leaves on and had her "push" them down the ribbon. Her favorite part was wearing it around like a necklace.

And here it is finished on our fireplace mantel. I think it looks quite nice! (I just wish I had made it a tad longer. Oh well.)

TOT LEARNING ACTIVITIES

I got out our lowercase letter flashcards and we played a game where I'd show her a card and say, "Letter a, letter a, what do you see?" Then, she'd flip the card and say, "I see the letter b looking at me" and so on and so forth all the way until we got to z.

I printed out the Looking at Me book from 1+1+1=1. Punkin was able to pretty much "read" it herself the first time we looked at it. We read this every day during our schooltime, and she loved it.

We also did this Heads and Tails matching game quite a few times.

This was such a cute book from Making Learning Fun, and Punkin spent quite a while working on it.

She "read" each page and then colored the picture. This was a book she wanted to "read" every day during our calendar time after we made it .

We used our brown Do-a-Dot marker to make a lowercase b.

Then she used it to mark all the capital and lowercase b's that she found on this page (from HERE). She did GREAT at it! Then, instead of having her write the Bb's in the bottom boxes, I had her find letter B foam stickers to put there instead.

She "built" her capital and lowercase Bb with her Build a Letter pieces for her ABC binder book.

And we used this writing practice sheet for our letter Bb. (I can't remember where it is from.) Punkin did great with the straight lines, and she tried real hard on the curves. (In the picture, I helped her with the first three curves, and she was attempting the last two.) She ended up doing pretty good tracing the capital B's, but the lowercase are still a challenge, which is to be expected.

Punkin also outlined a lowercase b using her counting bears. This was a huge hit.

After she did that a few times, she decided to keep going and fill in the middle, too.

But that wasn't enough.....she just kept going until she used every last bear in the container.

And then, she decided it'd be fun to line them all up!

We also practiced spelling her name using bears. I had her look at the top row and match up her cards on the bottom. We did this a few times and then tried it without the top row to look at. We need to continue working on that part. She can verbally spell her name, but doing it this way is harder. (I didn't include a picture of her really working on it because it showed her real name.)

After reading about this idea HERE, I decided to try it with Punkin. I put some salt in a shallow container and let her draw. I helped her make her Bb's and number 2, but mostly I just let her "draw." She loved this, and sat and did it for about 20 minutes all on her own. These two pictures I took are of times when she "accidentally" made some letters (at least I don't think she knew she was making them intentionally), but then proclaimed, "Mommy, look! I made G (or u or h depending on which picture it was)!"

I had these "honeypots" from when I taught first grade, so I got them out and had Punkin count out the right number of bears for each pot.

We also did bear patterns using these pattern cards from Prekinders. She did amazingly well, although she didn't always put them on in order. She'd fill up all the colored dots in random order, then finish off the pattern at the end. We'll have to work on that technique a bit. :)

She had so much fun doing this! I hid her counting bears in her tub of rainbow rice and had her search for them. When she found one, she set it on her bear graph that I made. I have tried to have her do things like this before with no luck. Guess she just wasn't really ready for it until now. She even wanted to hide them again herself in the rice and do it over. Each time, we counted how many of each color she found and pointed to the line with the most bears.

Then, I helped her color in the boxes with marker. I really needed to help her a lot with this part. She wanted to just color the whole line of boxes, so I had to cover up the ones she shouldn't color with my hand.

We worked on her number 2 counting boxes using bears. She had to find two of each color bear and put one in each box in the row. (Does that make sense?) Then, we counted each color. Next, I gave her one Do-a-Dot marker at a time. She had to find the right spot to make 2 dots. She did great!

And we made our Number 2 Book. Once again, she loved it, and she even traced all the number 2's at the bottom with a brown marker all by herself. (The original idea came from Tots and Me, and you can see more details about our book HERE where we made our Number 1 Book.)


STRUCTURED TIME WITH MOMMY

We played "Pin the Ears on the Bear" ..... on our refrigerator with magnets.

I hid her counting bears all over the main level of our house for her to find.

We bowled in our hallway for quite a while one day...because bowling starts with b! When she got tired of trying to make the ball knock them over, she just got up and came over and knocked them down herself! LOL! But we had a lot of fun!

I found this toddler website (http://www.kneebouncers.com/) on another blog (I can't remember which one now), and all the tot has to do is push any key on the keyboard for it to "play." Punkin is always wanting to push the buttons when we are watching our videos or I am working on the computer, so I thought she'd love this. Boy was I right. She would have done this all day! We did the number game, the ABC game, the shape game, and the music game. Her favorite was the music because she got to "play" her favorite song on the "piano" (Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star).

For our Mommy time this week, we also went on a couple walks and went to the park since it got so warm outside.


STRUCTURED PLAY ACTIVITIES

Using her brown Do-a-Dot markers again to make her "B is for Brown Bear" page. She loves her Do-a-Dots these days and does a super job marking only in the circles.

Painting in her Care Bears paint with water book.

Using colored craft sticks to put in matching playdough balls. This lasted for a little while, and then she started using them as knives to cut the playdough balls into tiny pieces.

Working on some of her favorite puzzles.


Well, that was our week. We didn't get to do any craft projects, because we spent one afternoon at a friend's house, and Saturday we went to a cross country meet at the park and then to a band parade competition (which she LOVED). Also, if you notice her clothes....yes, this was all in the same week. It ran the gamut from needing longsleeves and even a sweatshirt to short sleeves and a tank top one day. What crazy weather, huh?

To see more Tots in action, go to 1+1+1=1!

4 comments:

  1. Awesome week!! We had fun when we did Brown Bear but I saw some neat stuff that I'll include the next time we do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great week! Don't you love it when they are so excited about learning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be trying the website and the playdough activity. Again i love your number books, please publish there somewhere!!!!

    ReplyDelete