Punkin has been doing much better this week at remembering to put away the tray she was working on before getting out another one. But I am still trying to figure out how to get her to be engaged in one tray activity for more than just a few minutes (or seconds, sometimes!). I haven't made a big deal of it yet, as I'm hoping her attention span will increase as she gets older. Every once in awhile, I will intervene to give her another idea of how to play with the toys to prolong the activity a bit more. Also, I need to get a bigger shelf (maybe a 9 cube organizer?) so that I can put a few more trays out for her each week. This week she seemed to get tired of the 6 that I had.
I didn't really have a set theme with Tot Trays this week. I just set out some activities I thought she'd enjoy.
This was a big hit all week! She played with this almost every day. I had seen this type of thing on another blog (I can't remember which one) and promptly ordered a similar one on Amazon. I liked this one because it shows the sign language for each number.....We do a lot of sign language with Punkin. She also discovered this week that the pegs actually can stack, too! She loved seeing how high she could make the towers.
This was a dollar store find that I put in her Easter basket. Again, she wasn't too interested in lacing the beads until the end of the week when I showed her that she could make a necklace. Then, she was all about it!
I LOVE Melissa and Doug toys. This was one I got an amazing deal on right after Christmas. I just got it out this week, and it was an instant hit since Punkin is so interested in shapes right now. She played with this every day. Some days she just took the shapes off and on, but toward the end of the week, she started naming each shape as she took it off (I told her the red was a pentagon, and she now says "pengon" as she plays with them.....though she doesn't know a pentagon in any other context yet), and on Wednesday, she even lined each set of shapes up in a line and started trying to count them. (She has been able count to twelve very easily for quite some time, but counting objects is a relatively new skill she has been enjoying.) I showed her how to use her pointer (index) finger to point to each one as she counted, and since then, she has been counting lots of things that way around the house. Just yesterday I noticed that she actually starts with 1 now and can point to each object as she counts. (She used to start counting at two since she was used to us starting out for her saying "one.....")
And of course, I threw in the good old blocks for fun. She enjoys making towers.
LETTER B FOR BUTTERFLY
We did activites with Butterflies this week as we worked on the letter B. Punkin knows all her capital letters by sight and she knows all the sounds of letters. So as we continue to reinforce the sounds with our Letter Work, we also have started focusing on the concept that there are words that start with that sound/letter, and exposing her to the lowercase b.
Punkin LOVES her sensory tubs. I hid cards with the letter B and butterfly cutouts in the macaroni for her to find. (I had intended to use Beans, but didn't get the store to get any. Oh well.) I had intended for her to put the B's in one Bowl and the butterflies in another, which she started off doing, but then she just went back to scooping out the macaroni and taking the B's and butterflies and throwing them on the table since they were hindering her scooping efforts! :)
In keeping with our butterfly theme, Punkin picked out a shape from one of the cups, and glued it to the right spot on the butterfly's wings. I had her say the shape name each time as well. She had more fun using the glue than anything and just wanted to "pat" down the shape anywhere at first until I showed her how to match it to the black one. After the novelty of the glue wore off, she did better. I only had her do two of each shape for now. I think we'll continue this again next week as we will be doing more butterfly stuff anyway.
We also got out the beloved Melissa & Doug shape sorter to use for this activity. My original intent was to show her how to use tongs to pick up the pieces one at a time and set them on the correct butterfly. Well, she hated the tongs, and cried if I tried to show her how to use them. So, I set those aside, and then she had fun just using her hands to do it. Oh well. We'll keep trying.
For her structured activity time, I cut sponges into shapes and showed her how to squeeze the sponges to transfer water from one bowl to the other. She was soaked by the time she was done, but she sure had fun doing it!
For our shape snack, we had circle and square crackers! Yum, Yum!
I got these printables from Home Grown Hearts as well. Again, as with the shapes, I set the colors around the room, and called out one at a time for her to get and come put in the box. Again, she loved this. I was surprised that she loved something so simple as that, but hey! Whatever works! We chanted our color word chant for each color as she did it. (I can't even try to describe them to you because you just have to hear each one. We chant the spelling of each color word in a different sing-song tone for each one. It is something I used when I taught first grade to learn to spell the colors.)
For her structured playtime, I got out the playdough and let her cut butterflies out of the different colors.
NUMBERS
We didn't do as much with numbers this week because we ran out of time. We spent one morning at the zoo and one day at Grandma's, so we didn't have as much time this week.
MISC.
I got this also from Confessions of a Homeschooler. Can you tell I love her blog? :) Anyway, Punkin does pretty well with putting different sized objects in order from small to big or big to small, so I didn't think she'd have too much trouble with this. She was supposed to sort the butterflies by large, medium, small. It was harder for her than I thought. Or maybe she was just ready to go outside and play..... We'll have to try again next week.
For our craft this week, I cut a butterfly shape out of an empty cereal box, and I had Punkin glue tissue paper pieces to the wings. Then, we added eyes (which she thought was hilarious.....guess she is fascinated by "googly eyes") and pipe cleaners for antennae.

Lately, Punkin has really been interested in helping my unload the dishwasher. So, I moved our silverware drawer down to a drawer that she can reach, and after I take out the sharp utensils, I let her unload the rest of the silverware. She used to just throw all the silverware into the drawer without paying attention to where they went, but this week I showed her how to find where the forks and spoons and knives each go, and now she does it by herself. She also now says "fork" and "spoon" and "knife" as she puts them in, and today I caught her attempting to count them as she put them in. (She lost track after four, but I thought that was a good effort.)
FIELD TRIP
We got to go with Daddy to the zoo on Tuesday since he was off work, and it happened to be free admission day at the zoo. It had nothing to do really with our lessons for the week, but we couldn't pass up this opportunity. Punkin LOVES ..... I mean really LOVES animals, so she had an absolute BLAST!
Punkin adores her Daddy, and I just ADORE this pic of the two of them enjoying their day together.
Punkin saw a few new animals that we haven't really talked about much (rhinos and donkeys) so I put together a picture book for her of the animals we saw, and we go through it at least once a day and name all the animals. She loves this book!
Well, that was our week this week. I think we'll continue with butterflies next week as well as there are a few things I want to continue or do again, and I have some other activities I want to do as well. To see what other moms have done this week for Tot School, you can visit 1+1+1=1 for more ideas.


Love it! Tons of great ideas!!
ReplyDeleteWelcome to tot school!!! Looks like you had a very busy week with lots of fun activities. : ) I am now following your blog.
ReplyDeleteI am glad that you decided to take the plunge and post! You guys had an awesome week. My daughter is a couple of months older than yours but I love to see what all of the almost 2's are up too.
ReplyDeleteI get alot of materials from Confessions of a Homeschooler and Home Grown Hearts.
We have (2) 8 cube units from Ikea to keep the trays in. They do take up space, but at least activities are always ready to go for us. I do rotate a few educational toys in some of the spots.