~Punkin is 25 months old.~ ~Bear with me.....this is a LONG post this week!~
Letter: Aa
Color: Red
Shape: Circle
Number: One
Verse: "All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."
Videos:
Books:
This week was the start of our new letter theme units and morning circle time. Punkin has known her captial letters for a long time, and she knows most of her lowercase letters, but we will still focus on lowercase recognition as well as the letter sound and things that begin with that sound. Also, I am incorporating a number, color, and shape of the week as a review so she doesn't forget. We will spend two weeks on each letter and number, though the theme, color, and shape will change. For instance, for the letter a and number one, we will do apples one week with the color red and the circle shape. The next week, we'll still do a and one, but with an ant theme, the color black, and ovals.
We start off by having her put up the new number for the date. Then, she uses her special pointer to point to each number as we count them all. She can verbally count well to 13, then skips a few and says, "20!" But she only recognizes numbers 0-9. So, I am hoping that the repetition of this counting and pointing every day will help her count consistently to 20 and also to recognize the double digit numbers. Again, it's the daily repetition that is key. After counting the date, we sing our "Today Is...." song and our "Days of the Week" song together.
Then, we add a new paper clip to our board as we learn about patterns. I point to each clip and say the color in each row, and when it gets to the new one, I have her tell me what color we need. Then, she picks out the paper clip from a cup and puts it on. She thinks this is so fun. For now, I make each row on the board the same pattern, starting over each time at the beginning of the row. When I taught first grade, we continued the pattern over the whole board, not starting over at each row. But I thought that would confuse Punkin.
After our clip patterns, we sit by our pocket chart and work on the color, number, and letter of the week. I take out the letter tiles spelling the color of the week and have her look at the word card to put the letter tiles in order (with my help of course as needed). Then, we use our special pointer and I say, "Good morning, red." (she repeats) Then, we do our color chant as we point to each letter. ( I do it first, and she repeats.) She really thinks the whole repeating thing is funny. Next, for our number, I help her trace the number with her finger as we say our "chant" for how to make the number. For instance, number one is "Pull straight down and then you're done. That is how you make a one." Next, we use buttons in the shape of the week to count out that number. This week it's easy with one. But she already has gotten the concept because she points to it and says, "One." Then stops and looks at me and says, "Just one." For our letter of the week, we take down the letter poster from our calendar board and we trace the letters with the pointer or our fingers and we sing the Leapfrog song from her fridge phonics toy that teaches the sound of the letter. Then, in the pocket chart, I have her tell me the letter and sound again and we add a new picture of something that starts with that sound. And then, she sits in her little recliner as I read her a few books that go along with our theme of the week. Finally, we move to the computer and she gets to watch some kind of little video about the letter or number or theme of the week.


We also tweaked our routine a bit to utilize our new room and to fit in our calendar time in the morning. Here is what our new routine looks like (times are just rough guides, not set in stone):
8:00 – Punkin wake up / Get Dressed
8:15 – Breakfast
8:30 – Bible Time / Clean up / Brush Teeth
9:00 – Independent playtime in Room (Mommy’s Computer Time)
9:45 – Circle Time / Read Theme Books – Mommy picks
We start off our Tot School lesson times each day with our new Kumon books. This is going to take some practice!
We put apple shapes in order of size. She can still do great with 3 or 4, but we are working on using more, even though it's more difficult for her.
She worked on this flip book that I found at Making Learning Fun.
I created these apple tree pages for her to work on sorting big A and little a. I just wrote the letters on red dot stickers for her to put on the trees as the apples.
We used our red Do-a-Dot marker to fill in the "apples" on our lowercase a.
She matched stickers with lowercase letters on them to the capital letters on the page to spell APPLE. I printed this page from Confessions of a Homeschooler.
We made fingerprint apples on her lowercase a one day. I can't remember where I got this idea from, but I remember it said to use paint. I wanted red paint for this and another project I had in mind, but I couldn't find red paint at Walmart or Dollar Tree, and I wasn't about to drive 30 minutes into the city to Hobby Lobby just for red paint. So, we improvised with the stamp pad, and I think it worked out great!

We are making a letter book (binder) where we will store our projects and pages for each letter. Part of each letter's pages will include a letter tracing page....
We will use these as review each week as we "read" through our "book."
Another page that will always be in our book for every letter is a "Letter Puzzle" page. I got the templates from KizClub. They have some GREAT printables, by the way!
We also made our "a is for apple" craft from Totally Tots. I didn't have foam, though, so we just used construction paper. I also decided to use raisins as the seeds. Punkin counted all the seeds for me as she put them on.

For our number one, I had Punkin use the red stamp pad again to put "apple" fingerprints on all the number ones on the page. She did very well. The idea was that when it was done, it would make a 1 on her page. I don't think she really got that part, though.
I printed this page from Confessions of a Homeschooler as well to practice writing the number 1. As she did it we also said our number one writing chant: "Pull straight down and then you're done. That is how you make a one!" Punkin loved doing this, and did remarkably well. What you see in the picture she did by herself after I showed her a few of my own and erased them. After she did the page once, though, she began getting wild and just "coloring" all over the page.
We also worked on patterns a bit with these apple pattern pages that I printed from Spell Out Loud. Punkin did VERY well! I was shocked. She hasn't really "gotten" patterns much before, but I think doing the paper clip patterns on our calendar board each morning has really helped. I had her put an apple cutout over each apple picture to match and say the color as she did it. Then, she had to pick the last one on her own. The only thing I noticed was that at first, she'd be saying, "red, green, red, green, red, green, white" because the last box where she was to put her own was white. LOL! But after a few times of me helping her, she got it.
Then I had her just sort all the apples by color in the tray.
We made this torn paper apple collage. I was going to have her paint the paper plate red, but when I couldn't find the red paint, we went this route. We tried torn paper art one other time, and this time she was able to actually tear the paper on her own!
I love how cute it turned out.
I printed out these apple tree number cards from Confessions of a Homeschooler. I decided to try something new, and we lined them up on our stairs. I didn't know if Punkin would be interested at all or if I'd even be able to keep her on the stairs long enough to do anything with them. We usually do activities at the table in her highchair where she can't "escape." But I wanted to be more diligent about planning more active activities, too, so I gave it a try. I'm glad I did. She had so much fun, and has asked to do it again on more than one occasion. First, we just "jumped" up the stairs as we counted each number. Then, I told her a number and had her climb to it and sit down on it. When she got tired of that, I got out a red ball (apple) and "threw" it to a tree and had her go get it for me and tell me what number it was on. Then she'd throw it back down to me.
After a bit of that, she began on her own to put the ball on a number, tell me what it was, and then roll it down the steps to me. So, for the next 10 minutes, I'd tell her a number to go put the apple on, which she'd do and then roll it back down to me. This was her favorite part. And I was surprised with how well she really does recognize her numbers!
A highlight of our week was making apple pie! Now, you have to understand, I am NOT a cook, baker, or anything of the sort, and I have for sure never made a pie before in my life! But I found this recipe that seemed doable with a little one, and we gave it a whirl. It turned out okay....it was at least edible, though a bit "runny." I wouldn't ever serve it to guests, but for our purposes, it turned out great, and Punkin LOVED it! She really enjoyed stirring, dumping in the ingredients, and snitching the apple filling before we baked it! While it was baking, she even went to her little play kitchen and pretended to make her animals apple pie. :)
Daddy even got in on the action, helping her cut out the A's for the top of the pie. And then, once I looked over, and she was dumping on more sugar from the sugar container! I guess she didn't think it was sweet enough yet!
I forgot to take a picture of what it looked like after it was baked, but here's a picture right before we put it in the oven. I love how cute the A's make it look!
Her sensory bin this week was all red. I dyed macaroni red, then added things that were red circles of some kind: red beads, red buttons, red counting chips, red lacing beads, etc.
Her coloring pages this week were an apple picture and a number one page. I let her use a red marker for the first time without my hovering. (That's why she doesnt' have a shirt on.) She did very well, and didn't get marker on the table or all over herself.
I helped her make these little apples out of playdough one day. I made the balls, and she stuck in the twigs and leaves.
It was funny watching her try to roll the playdough into a ball like I did.
I also gave her cookie cutters that went along with our themes this week: the letter A, the number one, and a circle.
We had our first Muffin Tin Monday Meal - only on Saturday. Don't know if we'll do it every week, but it was fun for a change. I gave her strawberries, raspberries, little grape tomatoes (she did NOT like those), red jello, red applesauce, and red fruit snacks. Not the most well balanced meal in the world.....Oh well.
And this is just my favorite picture of the week. She was chilling in our bed watching Leapfrog Letter Factory.
Whew. Sorry for such a long post. We look forward to doing A is for Ants next week. To see what other tots were up to this past week, you can visit 1+1+1=1.
Here is our new calendar board. Right now, it takes about 10 minutes, but I'll add stuff to it as she gets older and has a longer attention span. Punkin has LOVED this new time in our day, and asks for it after we brush teeth in the mornings. I am excited about the info that she is gleaning from this daily time. (She woke up this morning singing her Bible verse song, and yesterday she randomly said, "Make a" as she drew the shape in the air with her finger and made the silly sounds that I always do when we practice it on our board.)
We have had a few other changes this week. Our playroom / school room is finally finished in our basement, and we have officially "moved in." We are excited to have a space to spread out and store all of our "stuff."
We also tweaked our routine a bit to utilize our new room and to fit in our calendar time in the morning. Here is what our new routine looks like (times are just rough guides, not set in stone):
8:00 – Punkin wake up / Get Dressed
8:15 – Breakfast
8:30 – Bible Time / Clean up / Brush Teeth
9:00 – Independent playtime in Room (Mommy’s Computer Time)
9:45 – Circle Time / Read Theme Books – Mommy picks
10:00 – Tot Trays
10:30 –Structured Play with Mommy (an activity chosen by Mommy related to theme OR time together outside, going for a walk, go to the park, etc.)
11:00 – Free Play in living room (Mommy does Chores for the Day)
11:30 – Structured Play Alone (Mommy chooses activity) / Table Time
12:00 – Lunch
12:30 – Storytime – Punkin picks from ones Mommy sets out
12:45 – Nap (Mommy’s computer time or daily chores)
3:30 – Snack / Read Aloud
3:45 – Tot School (Playroom)
4:15 – Independent Play in Playroom (Mommy’s Comp. Time or dinner)
5:00 – Video Time
5:30 – Dinner
6:00 – Family Time, Play Outside, Free Play
7:15 – Get Ready for Bed (bath, jammies, teeth, 2 stories, prayers)
7:45 – Punkin in Bed
10:30 –Structured Play with Mommy (an activity chosen by Mommy related to theme OR time together outside, going for a walk, go to the park, etc.)
11:00 – Free Play in living room (Mommy does Chores for the Day)
11:30 – Structured Play Alone (Mommy chooses activity) / Table Time
12:00 – Lunch
12:30 – Storytime – Punkin picks from ones Mommy sets out
12:45 – Nap (Mommy’s computer time or daily chores)
3:30 – Snack / Read Aloud
3:45 – Tot School (Playroom)
4:15 – Independent Play in Playroom (Mommy’s Comp. Time or dinner)
5:00 – Video Time
5:30 – Dinner
6:00 – Family Time, Play Outside, Free Play
7:15 – Get Ready for Bed (bath, jammies, teeth, 2 stories, prayers)
7:45 – Punkin in Bed
TOT TRAYS
We did not get to Tot Trays at all this week, as we tended to have other things going on every morning this week. Even though they all related to apples, I think I'll just keep them out for next week (Ant theme) since we are still doing the letter a.
TOT SCHOOL ACTIVITIES
Another page that will always be in our book for every letter is a "Letter Puzzle" page. I got the templates from KizClub. They have some GREAT printables, by the way!
We also made our "a is for apple" craft from Totally Tots. I didn't have foam, though, so we just used construction paper. I also decided to use raisins as the seeds. Punkin counted all the seeds for me as she put them on.
For our number one, I had Punkin use the red stamp pad again to put "apple" fingerprints on all the number ones on the page. She did very well. The idea was that when it was done, it would make a 1 on her page. I don't think she really got that part, though.STRUCTURED ACTIVITIES WITH MOMMY: TOT ART AND OTHER FUN STUFF
We made this torn paper apple collage. I was going to have her paint the paper plate red, but when I couldn't find the red paint, we went this route. We tried torn paper art one other time, and this time she was able to actually tear the paper on her own!
A highlight of our week was making apple pie! Now, you have to understand, I am NOT a cook, baker, or anything of the sort, and I have for sure never made a pie before in my life! But I found this recipe that seemed doable with a little one, and we gave it a whirl. It turned out okay....it was at least edible, though a bit "runny." I wouldn't ever serve it to guests, but for our purposes, it turned out great, and Punkin LOVED it! She really enjoyed stirring, dumping in the ingredients, and snitching the apple filling before we baked it! While it was baking, she even went to her little play kitchen and pretended to make her animals apple pie. :)
Daddy even got in on the action, helping her cut out the A's for the top of the pie. And then, once I looked over, and she was dumping on more sugar from the sugar container! I guess she didn't think it was sweet enough yet!STRUCTURED PLAY (ALONE)
I give Punkin an activity each day to do on her own while I fix lunch. She is supposed to do it until the timer goes off, then it's time to wash up and have lunch. Sometimes she is on the floor by me, other times at the table. We have a routine each week of what she does each day. One day she does playdough, one day a sensory tub, one day coloring, one day her aquadoodle, one day Do-a-Dots, and one day puzzles. Of course if we are gone some days, she doesn't do all these in a week.
MISC. STUFF
Whew. Sorry for such a long post. We look forward to doing A is for Ants next week. To see what other tots were up to this past week, you can visit 1+1+1=1.

I love the idea of putting the number cards on the stairs! I think my very active tot will love this, I can't wait to try it. I also like your play-doh apples, they turned out so cute! Great ideas!
ReplyDeleteI like the number's on the stairs. And that pie looks really fun. It's funny but my girl also knows to count to 13 perfect and then she skips someones and ends in 20:)
ReplyDeleteYour new room looks great!! So does your schedule. You guys had a full week. I wish we hadn't already done A so I could copy.
ReplyDeleteI will be copying the #s on the stairs and the patterning on the calander. Great ideas!
You've also reminded me that it's been a while since we've done a muffin tin meal. LOL
These are some great activities!
ReplyDeleteAwesome! What great ideas you have!!!
ReplyDeleteLOVE the new playroom!! I haven't done a good job of giving Daphne some alone playtime -ugh. Now, I am regretting it BIG TIME!! Looking at your schedule made me think I could have a good 30 minutes (besides her naptime) to work with Norah without being totally distracted. I am going to start today, though. I will probably only get 5 minutes out of her - but hopefully I can work up to 30!!
ReplyDeleteI love your schedule! and i would like to ask you about the independent time. what materials do you give to pumpkin for this time?
ReplyDeleteI'm allways thinking about her boxes for this time and we used some of your ideas like the contact paper, like the hairties and color sticks...
Heather,
ReplyDeleteI obviously didn't get to 45 minutes right away when we started independent time. I think we started with 10 minutes. (We started this at about 14 months.) I would stay in the room with her for the first few days, which was good because I was able to see right off the bat the things I needed to "put up" or teach were "no's" for her playtime (the waste basket, going behind the rocker, opening drawers, etc.) That time of me in there helped "train" her what she could and couldn't do. After a few days, I would stay in for only 8 of the 10 minutes for a couple days, then 7, then 6, etc. until I really wasn't in there with her at all. When I wasn't in there, I'd still have the monitor on so I could hear her play, and I'd check in on her frequently, even if I just peeked in so she couldn't see me. Once she could do 10 minutes by herself, then I started slowly upping it to 12 minutes, then 15, etc. And I'd always put the timer on her room so I wouldn't lose track of time and so she would know when it was time to clean up. ANYWAY.... Hope that helps, and good luck! It's definitely a process.....
Patricia,
ReplyDeletePunkin's independent playtime in her room is when she plays by herself (I am not in the room with her) with a group of toys and books that I rotate out every couple of weeks. It is different than free play, because she has to play with the toys I have chosen for her for the time frame I set. Free play is when she can play with or do whatever she wants. I do not give her "tot school" activities per se during that time since I am not in there to guide and help. Some toys she has right now are "duplo" blocks, her Little People dollhouse, her magnadoodle, puzzles, her fisher price school bus, and her teaset. There are also lots of books for her to read if she wants...which she usually spends a lot of that time doing. See my above comment as well for more info. You can also visit the following blogposts for more info: 1. http://www.babywisemom.com/2010/06/balancing-time-with-children.html 2. http://www.babywisemom.com/2009/03/roomtime.html
Hope that helps!