Sunday, October 24, 2010

WEEK OF OCT. 18 - C IS FOR COOKIE MONSTER

~Punkin is 26 months old.~

Theme: Cookie Monster
Letter: Cc
Number: 3
Shape: Triangle
Color: Blue
Verse: "We will be changed into His likeness."
Videos:
"C is for Cookie" song by Cookie Monster

We had a tense week around here, as Punkin has decided not to nap anymore (we're going on 5 weeks of this), and therefore has been having some new behavior issues due to being overtired. She's is also in that "No, Mommy, I do it" stage, and she is becoming very ..... "non compliant" lately. (She's always been a pretty compliant, well-behaved little girl....until the twos hit.) Anyway, between these issues and other things we had going on in our week, I felt like we didn't have as much of a productive week as I would have liked, but some weeks are just like that.

TOT TRAYS

Punkin was back to not being interested much in tot trays, but we really didn't have much time for them this week anyway, so it wasn't a huge loss..... These are the only two trays she did this week:

"Tracing" a letter c with "cookies" (a cookie picture glued onto bottle caps).

Putting small pegs into little holes. Don't know what this is really called, but I found the board / pieces at a garage sale. She did sit for about 30 minutes diligently putting all those pieces in. Then, she moved on to pipe cleaners from another tray.

TOT LEARNING ACTIVITIES

We actually finished up a couple caterpillar activities on Monday:

Sorting caterpillars from COAH by large, medium, small.

And we worked on this Very Hungry Caterpillar giant sticker book. She loved the big stickers!

Then, it was on to Cookie Monster stuff:

Working on our Kumon tracing book ..... She is getting so good at it! I am impressed!

Building our letter C again. (And we did all the letters in our book as a review.)

Making our Trace and Collage pages for our ABC binder. (I got the idea from Tired Need Sleep, and still print off the tracing pages, but I make my own collage pages that fit our topics better.) She did very well tracing the Cc on this page, and she always loves doing the collage pages. (I cut, she pastes.)

Here's our completed page for our book. We look through it often to review all the past letters / sounds.

Punkin worked a lot this week on her cutting skills. She's getting pretty good at it, but I still have to hold the paper for her. For this activity, I held the paper while she cut strips of cookies apart.

Then we used the cut apart cookies to glue onto a big letter c.

Our caterpillar abc match last week was such a hit that I decided to do something similar this week. I just printed off 2 pages of cookie pictures that I got off a google search and wrote the lowercase abc's on them. Then, she pulled her leapfrog letters one at a time from her box....

played them on her leapfrog toy....

and then matched them to the lowercase letter. She had a BLAST again this week, and did great!
Punkin hunted for her letter c on this paper and stamped them with her blue Do-a-Dot. It amazes me how fast she can pick them out even among a lot of other letters. Then, she put her letter C foam stickers in the boxes at the bottom.

We did a similar activity with the number 3 that I quickly made up one day on the spur of the moment. Again, she found all the 3's lickety split. Then, I had a 3 at the bottom for her to try to trace, but she wasn't really into that ..... she just wanted to color blue on the bottom.

We made our number 3 books which was once again a hit. I changed up the pictures, but it really didn't throw her off at all when she "read" the book to me. She wasn't quite as good with tracing all the 3's as she was with the 2's, but she sure tried. You can download the book HERE if you are interested.

Punkin picked numbers out of her box and "fed" Cookie Monster that many cookies (Cookie Crisp cereal). Of course, she ate way more cookies than Cookie Monster, but I expected that. :) We did this quite a few days at snack time.

I printed this book from Making Learning Fun. Punkin colored all the cookies, then we read the book together as we sat Cookie Crisp cookies on each page. She loves "reading" books that she makes.

I was proud of Punkin this week at really trying to use mini clothespins. I get them out every so often to see if she'll try them. This week she did! Even in the midst of her "I do it" stage, she still let me help her and show her how to do it. She only got a couple of them open and on completely by herself (the rest I had to put my hand on hers and help her), but I was just proud of the attempt. This shape matching activity was too easy for her in and of itself, but my point was to have her work on those fine motor skills.

STRUCTURED TIME WITH MOMMY

This cut and paste shape Cookie Monster was kinda a pathetic attempt at our craft time one day, but I ran out of time (and energy) to do our bigger project of painting a paper plate blue and adding features to make Cookie Monster. She seemed to still like it though.

Then, later in the week when things were going a tad bit smoother in our day, we made this cookie craft together. I held strips of brown for her to cut apart, and then we glued them on her round circle and added raisins for the chocolate chips.

And of course, what is a C is for Cookie week without making cookies together?

STRUCTURED PLAY ACTIVITIES

She just did her basics/ usuals this week. Do-a-Dots.....

Playdough....

and Coloring (with Color Wonder Markers this time).

I had a new fall sensory bin planned for her structured alone play time as well as some fun water activities, but she was just too grumpy this week during this time to accomplish much.....

MISC. STUFF

Watching her Leapfrog Letter Factory movie while eating breakfast in my bed one day while I got ready. (I got up late that day.) I never let her watch a movie first thing in the morning, let alone eat in bed, but sometimes you have to just do what works to get by. Plus, it was a special little treat for her to break up the routine a bit.

She did a LOT of reading / looking at books this week. She will still choose that activity a lot over other play activities if given a choice.

And I'm trying to get her to help me do more "chores" since she isn't napping much anymore and I still need to get MY stuff done that I used to do while she napped. Here she was having a ball handing me the damp stuff in the dryer to hang up on the drying rack. (I never dry my clothes all the way.)

Well, that was our crazy cookie week. To check out what other tots did this past week, visit 1+1+1=1.

6 comments:

  1. You had an awesome week! I love the letter matching idea - very cute. I would love to be a student in your Tot School!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What GREAT activities! I love the Leap Frog/Letter match activity and may borrow that one! What a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! My ELLA will love ALL of these activities. She is OBSESSED with all things Sesame Street! I will definitely be "borrowing" from you when we get to Cc. I particularly like the cookies on the bottle caps and using the cookie crisp to place in Cookie's mouth! I also am getting a chuckle out of your uses for the kleenex box. We use ours for the same things and my husband pokes fun at me. Now I can tell him that I am not the only one! Take care and Thanks for sharing! Kerri

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE it! You have such great ideas! I will have to use your cookie ideas when we get to "c" again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the 3 book. Thanks for sharing! i'm printing it for this week.

    ReplyDelete