Saturday, January 22, 2011

D IS FOR DINOSAUR

~Punkin is 29 months old.~

Theme: Dinosaurs
Letter: Dd
Number: 8
Shape: Triangle
Color: Green
Videos:
Books:

TOT TRAYS

We only got to do Tot Trays one day this week, so you will probably see some of the same trays out next week, too.

Reusable animal sticker book.

4 piece animal puzzles. I had to help her a lot with this, but she had fun putting them away in the box!

Dropping toothpicks through a straw. I got this idea from HERE.

Color Beanbags. We lined them up, named the colors, and threw them in a bucket.

DINO LEARNING ACTIVITIES

Punkin matched up the heads and tails of the dinosaurs from HERE.

We made a dinosaur color book and worked on recognizing the color words. (I can't remember where I got it from, though.)

Punkin dot painted her letter Dd with green paint and the eraser end of a pencil. We really worked this week on the proper way to form a Dd, so I made her dot paint in that order.

She used her Do a Dot paints to find the letter of the sound I told her. I printed the page from HERE.

She sorted capital and lowercase Dd dinosaurs from HERE.

And she "built" the letter Dd out of paper towel tubes and pipe cleaners. I saw this idea HERE.

I printed THIS page for Punkin to dot paint, but it had a T for Trex on it, so I cut that part off and we made it into our own D is for Dinosaur page. She did great tracing her Dd's on the page.

Punkin matched up the shapes with the dinosaurs on THIS page. This was really too easy for her, but she still enjoyed it.

Punkin put together THIS shape dinosaur and then we used leftover green paint to put green dots on him.


We worked on patterns using THIS sheet from COAH.

And we practiced counting using THIS sheet also from COAH.

Punkin "fed" the dinosaur by rolling the dice and feeding the dinosaur that many leaves. I got the idea from HERE.

Punkin has always had a hard time using tongs, clothespins, etc. so I try to bring them back out every few weeks to keep practicing. When I saw THIS idea, I thought we'd try it again. (Although we obviously didn't paint the dinosaur and clothespins as it suggested.) Punkin worked really hard at it, and as long as I held the dino for her, she pretty much could finally do it herself! I was going to number the clothespins to make it a number order activity as well, but the concentration it took for her to use the clips was enough for this activity, I think.

She was so proud of her dinosaur.

ART ACTIVITIES

Punkin has really been into painting lately, so she used her watercolors to paint THIS dinosaur picture. I really worked with her on how to use the watercolors and not make them messy.

Then, when it dried I cut it out and glued it on a green piece of paper to put on our refridgerator.

And we worked on making a paper plate dinosaur. I got the idea from HERE. I realized later that we put the head on wrong. Oh well. She'll never know the difference. She asked to "paint" her dinosaur, so I let her use her Do a Dot paints to decorate it.

MISC. STUFF

Punkin saw this coloring sheet sitting on the counter, so she stood on her tippy toes to reach it, went and got out her crayons, lined them up on the table, and climbed up at the table, saying, "I going to color my dinosaur, Mommy." Well, okay, then!

And we had fun making these dinosaur sandwiches together for lunch one day. I saw this idea HERE.

And randomly, this became Punkin's favorite activity this week for some reason. On her own, she kept getting out her abc flashcards and lining them up in rows across our office. Then, she'd ask me to "find for me," which meant that I'd ask her to find certain pictures or "something that starts with...." or "something you can eat," etc.

Join us next week for D is for Dog! To see what other tots were up to this past week, check out 1+1+1=1.

6 comments:

  1. What a fun week! I love all of your activities and am wishing we didn't just finish D. You had such a great selection of dinosaur books. The only one I had heard of is Danny and the Dinosaur and that is because it is one we just used too.
    We have a feed the penguin game that is similar to your dino one, probably got it from the same place, I 'm not sure, I made it a year ago, but the girls still enjoy it.
    I really love the clothespin dino and the dino sandwich.
    My daughter loves putting toothpicks into a shaker jar, I have got to see how she likes putting them in a straw this week.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Followed over from the Tot School link-up! What a fun week! You have a smart little girl! :)
    http://musingsofmysahmlife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. John loves dinsoaurs so we will borrowing from you when we get to this in a couple weeks. LOVE the sandwich! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to get those Golden Book puzzles! I love the dinosaur sandwich you made!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always feel inspired after your posts!

    We have the same issue with clothespins. We are finally starting to turn a corner with tongs but not with clothespins or chopsticks. Ella really wants to use the chopsticks (trainer kind of course). So, that is a huge area of frustration. However, she really has zero interest in the clothespins. I like your idea of trying to introduce at a longer span of time rather than to close in time.

    Thanks for sharing!

    Kerri

    ReplyDelete