Sunday, August 15, 2010

WEEK OF AUGUST 9 - BEADS AND BUTTONS

~Punkin is 24 months old~

We had a great week this week. Punkin seemed to like the activities I planned, and there were many times where spontaneous learning activities seemed to pop up that made it fun. Other times I kinda let her lead in terms of what she was interested in doing and I didn't push what I had planned. I hadn't necessarily started out the week intending it to be a Beads and Buttons theme week, but as we got into it, I realized that we were using them for a lot of things, so I tweaked a few activities to include them, and suddenly we had a fun theme going!

TOT TRAYS

Poking golf tees into styrofoam, then balancing little yellow marbles on top. I was impressed with how she figured out to keep one hand on the styrofoam circle to keep it steady while she worked. Once again, she pretended it was her birthday cake and would sing "Happy Birthday to You" every time she did it and pretended to blow out the "candles."

"Graphing" her oversized sparkly buttons. She wasn't all that excited about this one.

I got this idea from ABC and 123. She was supposed to take the little beads and line them up / balance them on the matching colored craft stick. Well, even after I did one and showed her how, she wasn't interested in doing it that way. She had more fun stirring the beads in the cup with the sticks and moving them around on the table using the sticks.

Then, on her own, she began to line up her sticks in a row. She was so meticulous that they were touching each other and straight. She spent quite awhile working on this.

Putting pipe cleaners through the holes of this sugar shaker, then putting beads onto the pipe cleaners.

The idea was to match the beads to the correct color of pipe cleaner (which she can actually do with ease), but she wasn't interested in being that picky, I guess! :)

I had two other trays out for her that she didn't do. (A lacing activity and sorting playing cards by the number on them.) In her totroom area where we do our tot trays, I have some baskets of abc books, family pictures, flashcards, and little games that I always keep out for her to choose to do instead if she wants. She played with lots of those this week.

And her "computer" is always sitting out, too, for her to play with. She chose to play with it one day instead of choosing a new tray.

Her play farm was also a choice of hers this week during tot tray time.

SHAPES
She had so much fun with this activity. I put some of her big buttons in her kleenex box that we use alot for pulling stuff out. She would reach in and pull out a big button.

Then, she always decided she needed to actually set her button on a shape that matched. (I never told her to do that.)

Then, we'd take off the button, and I had her use her Do-a-Dot markers to make a dot on that matching shape. I got this general idea from Life with My Giggly Girls.
MATH

I gave Punkin a bag of big and little buttons. I pointed to each container and showed her the example button I had taped to each one and said, "This is where you are going to put the BIG buttons, and this is where you are going to put the LITTLE buttons." She loved this activity because she got to pop up the little lids on the wipes containers each time she pulled out a new button.
When we were done, we took each set out of the container, and I had Punkin line them up (which is one of her favorite things to do .... lining things up). Once they were lined up we counted the line. She is doing a lot better lately of counting one to one objects if she uses her finger to keep track.

LITERACY / ABC'S

Gluing buttons on her letter b. This was a spontaneous project that happened one day when Punkin asked for "goo."

She insisted it go on our refrigerator so she sould "show Daddy."
Playing with her magnetic lowercase abc picture book.

ART

I got out our shaving cream again and added a bit of a twist from an idea I got from Tots and Me. I put some drops of yellow food coloring in the shaving cream and had Punkin use her hands to mix it all up. I ended up having to help a bit, but Punkin thought it was funny.

Then, I asked her what other color she wanted to mix in, intending it to be a color mixing activity. But after she chose green, and I put in the drop of food coloring, I realized that green is not a primary color and wouldn't mix with the yellow to make a new color. It just turned a pretty light lime green. Oh well. It was still cool for Punkin to see the yellow change to green.

Then, she asked for blue, so we did blue. It turned a pretty blue-green color.

For each color we did, we smoothed out the shaving cream, and then took a piece of paper and laid it gently on top and pressed down lightly. When I pulled it off, I scraped off any excess shaving cream with a piece of cardboard before letting it dry.
The next day, Punkin asked to use her "Do Dots" so I had this idea to get the dried shaving cream pictures off the refrigerator and had her use the yellow and green markers to dot on her pages to jazz them up a bit. She loved it!

MISC. ACTIVITIES

One night I was making spaghetti (or busgetti according to Punkin), and I accidentally dumped quite a bit of the dry noodles on the floor. Punkin immediately came over while I was picking them up and said, "I hep!" So, I got this idea to grab one of our empty parmesan containers that I keep in her drawer for tot school and let her put the noodles in the holes. It kept her occupied while I was able to finish dinner. (She also had fun breaking the noodles into tiny pieces.)

We did lots of playdough, this time adding some beads and buttons for an extra fun flair!

And she had so much fun doing puzzles one day. She did her shape puzzle probably 10 times in a row. She didn't want to stop when it was time for lunch.

I got this idea from Children's Learning Activities. I was finishing up laundry one day and left Daddy's and Punkin's socks in the basket. (I didn't include mine because I don't really wear many socks in the summer, and plus I thought two kinds to sort was enough.) I sat with the basket in the hallway between her room and ours, and had her pick a sock from the basket.

Then, I had her decide whose sock it was and run to the right room and put it in the drawer. (She loves opening and closing drawers right now, but I don't usually let her do it.....or else everything in the drawers would be strewn all over our house....so this was a treat for her!) At first she didn't get into as I thought she would until I told her to "run" and I chased her. I loved this activity because it reinforced the concept of big and little that we worked on with our buttons, visual discrimination, ownership / possession (I'd have her tell me each time if the sock was Punkin's sock or Daddy's sock), and the concept of open and closed as she opened and closed the drawers each time on her own.

She loves playing with her aquadoodle, and I usually only bring it out for our structured play time (while I make lunch) every so often to keep it "special." This day she asked to "tace foot" and "tace fingers." This is something Daddy does with her on her magnadoodle, and she wanted to borrow my hands and feet to do it on her aquadoodle as well.

Then, she practiced with her own hands and feet.

This was a GREAT idea from Life with My Giggle Girls as well. Punkin loves playing in bubbles and water, but when she does it in our sink, I am always hovering to make sure she doesn't dump water all over the floor or fall off the chair she is standing on to reach. This was nice because I could sit and read a book on the deck and get soem sun while she played. Plus, I had her old baby tub just sitting in the store room collecting dust, so why not? It has been hot here, but I just couldn't get myself to set up the pool again, so this was a great substitution instead. I gave her sponges, cups, spoons, and bowls. Her favorite was squeezing the water out of the sponges onto the deck.

Then, she must have gotten too hot, so she decided to get in.

Then, while we were outside, we opened up our new bubble fun kit.

Another one of our spontaneous activities initiated by Punkin was jumping along her ice cream number line. Actually, I had forgotten that I still had these ice cream numbers in her basket on her little table. When she found them the other night, she immediately began to try and line them up herself on the floor. (That's what we did with them during our ice cream unit.) Then, she came to me and said, "Mommy, hep dump!" (Mommy, help me jump.) So, I helped her line them up in number order on our tiles and we jumped to each one as we said the numbers. She has always loved this. Then, while I cooked dinner, she attempted to do it herself over and over again. She is getting much better at "jumping," though it still is a bit awkward.....but so cute to watch!

Another new favorite activity is coming with me outside to get the mail. We walk together to the end of the driveway, she stands at the end of the sidewalk while I get the mail from the mailbox, I give her one piece of the mail (usually junk mail), and she waltzes back inside carrying her treasure. Then, she goes and sits on her little white chair and proceeds to try to open her mail. (That's why I give her junk mail.) It is funny to watch her try so hard to get that envelope open.

And since she loves mail so much, this activity kinda sprung up one evening as Daddy and I were working in the basement on a project. I had been going through my tubs of stuff from when I taught first grade and I found this cute little mailbox that my students used to leave me notes. (It was a motivator to get them to use their writing skills.) Anyway, I knew she'd love it, so when we went downstairs to work, I put this in the almost finished empty bedroom (where she has to stay when we are down there because it is the only "finished" space with carpet at the moment). I then just grabbed some picture / beginning sound cards for her to use as her "mail." This kept her occupied for quite some time. When I was done with what I needed to do, I went in to play with her, and I'd ask her, "Can you find the _________ and put it in the mailbox for me?" She learned a few new vocabulary words like "vest" and "crab" and "snail."
MOM'S FAVORITE PIC OF THE WEEK
What a goofy girl!
Anyway, that was our week! To see what other tots did this past week, check out 1+1+1=1.

7 comments:

  1. This is the first time I've visited your blog. What great activities for Tot School! There are so many that I would love to use. I've never done shaving cream or food coloring yet. I think that has lots of possibilities. I also like how you go with it when your daughter has her own idea for what to do. You do a lot of variety, I like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. My son likes doing that pose (like your goofy girl pic).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, I love that picture of her climbing in the tub. I was really surprised that Kayleigh didn't do that. I love how you added bubbles to the water.

    We did the beads and pipecleaners this week too. K wouldn't try to match the colors either. She was having too much fun just stringing them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a very full week! What is that pocket lined chart thing that you were using for the button graphing?

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many great ideas in a single post! I love that magnetic book. Can you tell me the title?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katie,

    I have gotten quite a few books like this from garage sales. We have quite a few letter ones, a few number ones, some Clifford, some shapes ones..... I have seen them at TJMaxx as well as on Amazon. This one she is using here is the "abc" one in the Magnetic Play and Learn series. (She is using magnets, though, from a different magnetic book because I couldn't find the ones that go with this one for some reason.) The ISBN is 1-84510-727-6. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pigs Do Fly,

    I had the pocket chart from when I was teaching. But I have also gotten a few from garage sales as well. I know they have been in the Target Dollar spot before, or you can sometimes even find cheap ones at the Dollar Tree. You can always find them at a teacher supply store, though, or on Amazon.

    ReplyDelete