Saturday, December 4, 2010

T IS FOR TURKEY...AND SOME CHRISTMAS THROWN IN

~Punkin is 28 months old.~

This is 2 weeks worth of activities in one post. With the craziness of last week and Thanksgiving, and still feeling sickies around here, I didn't get anything posted. This week has been just as crazy, so not a lot got done. Here's to hoping that after the Christmas season, we'll finally be back to normal tot school and normal posts.

We've been working on the letter T. Last week it was for Turkey, and I intended to do T is for Tree (as in Christmas tree). But that will wait until next week, I guess. This week I wasn't in the mood to really plan much, so I just made a list of some of the Christmas things I had already made up or planned and we randomly did some of those. I have planned to continue Christmas and tree activities through Christmas, so we may not even really intro a new letter again until after that. We'll see.

I am not going to go into detail as much....it's going to be quick. But here is what we did:


TOT TRAYS
(We had these out for two weeks.)
I had out her Melissa and Doug See and Spell as well as magnetic pom poms, but I didn't get pictures of those.
Lite Brite

Little Foam Number and Letter Puzzle

Putting turkey feathers into a tp tube turkey. (Got the idea from HERE.)

Pop up flashcards

TURKEY ACTIVITIES

Noodle pounding the letter Tt.

Do a Dots

Writing the letter Tt. I was amazed at how well she caught on after watching me once. I got it from this tot pack.




Dotting the letters on her turkey that I called out for her. (from HERE)

I created this capital / lowercase Tt sort for her. She loved this!

Working on matching lowercase to capital letters and spelling TURKEY. I printed this off from this tot pack as well.

Matching beginning sounds (from HERE). She needed a bit of help on this one, as we've only done this kind of activity twice now. But she liked doing it.

Working on patterns using colored craft sticks for feathers. I got this idea from HERE.

We played the "Gobble, Gobble Game" from 2 Teaching Mommies. She loved "spinning" the paper clip (I didn't have a spinner), and she loved the silly poem that went with it.

And we had to make handprint turkeys of course. We later added features to the turkeys wrote a little message on the plate, saying "Hope you have a handy dandy Thanksgiving" and gave it to Grandma and Grandpa.

We made a turkey hat together, and worked on scissor practice and spelling TURKEY along with it. I used the basic idea from 2 Teaching Mommies.

I found this idea to make a turkey out of an apple and marshmallows at I Can Teach My Child. Good fine motor work.

Of course, she had more fun eating the marshmallows than anything, but it sure turned out cute.

CHRISTMAS ACTIVITIES

Candy Cane letter matching puzzles from HERE.

Sorting and patterning with christmas ornament lights.

Stocking / Candy Cane match (from HERE). She had to look at BOTH colors on the candy canes and stockings, so it was more challenging than just a normal color match. She did well.

I bought a couple foam magnet making kits from the Dollar Tree awhile back, and she worked this week on gluing the pieces on to make these magnets.

She made this Christmas wreath, to replace our fall leaf wreath on our bulletin board.

I was originally going to have her tear the pieces, but then changed my mind and had her practice more of her cutting skills.

When I was putting up the tree, she insisted on continually dumping out these little red ornaments. So, I got smart and turned it into a "structured learning activity" rather than having them thrown all around the room.

She made a birthday cake for Jesus with her playdough. (Although, later, when I asked her to tell Daddy who she made a birthday cake for, she told him it was for Puppy.)

Helping me decorate the tree in her tot tray room.

She loves wearing around the Santa hat that she found while we were getting out the decorations.

I had to make a Christmas snack for a party we went to, and of course Punkin wanted to help. I just made a simple white chocolate mix with cereal, pretzels, M&M's, etc. She was in heaven with all her "favorites" in one pan in front of her. At one point, she was shoving stuff in her mouth as fast as she could, afraid I'd take it away, I guess!

And here's the yummy snack "drying." MMMM!
Well, that was our TWO weeks. I wonder how this next week will go? I guess we'll have to wait and see. For more Tot School ideas, visit 1+1+1=1.

3 comments:

  1. Mmmmm...that snack looks yummy. Are you able to post the recipe? I love all the turkey activities you did, esp. the handprints and turkey hat. It's great that she's practicing using scissors. That one is so hard and my son gets frustrated quickly with it. The tiny Christmas ornament sorting is one I'd like to do, great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always have such great works!! Thanks for sharing some of the links too. Love the wreath from cut up construction paper and the love your Christmas snack too. That is a huge favorite at our house! Kerri

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to try that T tracing sheet, pumkin is just a very intelligent girl:) I love the Marshmallow Turkey. Thanks for sharing. As a suggestion can you make a post with all your printables? This week I post some pictures with Noarai making your 4 Book and got crazy to find wich post has the link. Noarai loves your books:)

    ReplyDelete