Saturday, March 3, 2012

TOT SCHOOL: DR. SEUSS

We had so much fun celebrating Dr. Seuss the last two weeks. We read a lot of his books, but our activities focused mainly on "The Cat in the Hat," "One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish," and "Green Eggs and Ham." We worked a lot on rhyming and word families. In the above picture, Punkin was using this printout to make different -at words by sliding the letter strip through the hat. Then, once she read the word to me, she wrote the beginning letter on the hat page from HERE. Then we read through all the words again and talked about how they rhymed and what that meant.
I got this rhyming page from Fun in First Grade. I had to read her the words, obviously, but she caught on quickly.Position Words: Punkin glued the hats on the page according to where the position word stated. This came from Living Life Intentionally.Cat in the Hat Memory GameColor By Letter to make the Cat's hat
Spin a Sound Graphing: Punkin spun the spinner and then found the beginning sound on her graph and practiced writing the letter instead of just coloring in the box.She had fun, and she got great practice at writing letters.We made a hat to wear throughout the week.
Tissue Paper HatI found this ADORABLE handprint Thing 2 idea from Little Warriors. Isn't it just the cutest?
CAT IN THE HAT SNACKSStrawberries and smashed marshmallows on a crackerStrawberry and Banana Cat in the Hat popI got this idea from Fancy Frugal Life.Cat in the Hat parfait made from strawberry jello and cool whip.
ONE FISH TWO FISH RED FISH BLUE FISHFish graphing printed from Oopsey Daisy.Then, we used this graph data page to record the information from her graph.It was her first exposure to tally marks, and she did a great job writing her numbers.Fish Tracing and Counting from Living Life IntentionallyI made this fish addition activity for Punkin. She rolled a dice and put that many red fish in the bowl and wrote that number on her page. Then, she rolled it again and put that many blue fish in the bowl and wrote that number. She counted all the fish together and wrote that number down. Then, we "read" the math problem together.I was going to have her make painted handprints, but I got lazy and we just cut them out of paper.
Tissue Paper SuncatchersBlue jello and red gummy fish. I got this idea from Simple Girl.Punkin went "fishing" for goldfish with celery and peanut butter. This idea came from Adventures of the Smith Family.
GREEN EGGS AND HAM
Read, Stamp, Write from Living Life Intentionally. Our letter stamps don't show up very well, so since Punkin is really into stickers, I pulled out my letter stickers and had her find the letters she needed to spell the words. I was also so proud of how well she did writing the words!
Playing Pin the Yolk on the Eggs.She really had a hard time with the fact that she couldn't look and put the yolks in the middle. :) I think she may turn out to be a bit of a perfectionist like her mama!Green Eggs and Ham snack: pretzels, melted white chocolate, and green M&M's. This idea has been all over Pinterest.We made green eggs for breakfast one day.Our Muffin Tin Monday meal was a representation of a few different stories. A foot PBJ sandwich (The Foot Book), green scrambled eggs (Green Eggs and Ham), pink ink milk (The Cat in the Hat Comes Back), goldfish crackers (One Fish, Two Fish), mini hat snacks (The Cat in the Hat), and a pink sucker to represent the clovers in Horton Hears a Who.
MISC.
Punkin really loves to write and to use dry erase markers. Therefore, she really enjoys picking a letter in her notebook to practice writing each day.
She often helps me make her lunch, especially PBJ sandwiches.She found this styrofaom blocks from a package I got in the mail, and she was using them as her "skates" one night.And she loves ..... adores.... playing with Firecracker.
There were so many fun ideas floating around on Pinterest, but we have to move on....
I have linked up to Tot School and Preschool Corner.

5 comments:

  1. Fabulous week!! I love it all.

    Popping in from Pre-K corner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are all fantastic ideas!! Do you mind if I "pin" your webpage for future reference? Thanks! Oh, I love your ideas and am now a follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah, I don't mind if you pin anything. Thanks for following! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, you did SO many cute activities! I love the handprint Thing and the tissue paper hat. SO, SO adorable! I'm glad it's okay to pin, as I'm excited to add these to my board as a reminder for next year :)

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a GREAT week! we're about to start Q next week and we're on a tight time frame to get the alphabet done before our next baby comes or i would steal most of your ideas and have a dr seuss week too. so fun!

    ReplyDelete